Friday, March 17, 2006

Hope for Galatasaray

Hello again. I have been a bit quiet the last few days and that was mainly because I was in Istanbul for a few days and travelled back to the US during the week so am just getting over the jet lag. For anyone who knows about these things Cleveland is not the easiest place in the US o fly to and from. I flew with KLM and had to fly Istanbul to Amsterdam and then to Detroit and then to Cleveland. Total of 17hrs and thank goodness NWA is one of the few US airlines not to charge for drinks on the flight.

On the way back I was reading the Economist and noticed an interesting article about the cost of a Turkish Passport. Can you believe we have to pay $350 for a five year passport and then add on the tax we have to pay each time we leave the country this puts Turkey right at the top of the league table of passport costs!!!! I mean my husband who is British pays about $100 for a 10 year passport. I knew that our passports were expensive but why so expensive?

It seems to me that in this era of globalisation and the need for business men to travel etc. and the fact that Turkey is attempting to access the EU that this has got to change. Either that or we lose our competitive edge!

Big weekend in Turkish Soccer coming up. With Galkatasaray poised to go top of the league again by beating Kayseri Erciyes on Sunday after FB have been beaten by Ankaragucu on Saturday.

5 comments:

IMA said...

Do you have DFH satellite service? We're watching all the games on our 32" HD LCD tv. I bought a surround sound system the other day and it's awesome (not for Turkish tv though) You're right- lots of cool games to watch this weekend! I wouldn't be so sure about FB losing though.... (!)

Oz Kanka said...

Ahhh Murat,
At least Gulay has her heart in the right place in wanting an Ankaragucu victory. And look at Fener's last three league matches in Ankara, a loss to Ankaraspor, a draw with Gencler in the first half of the season and a loss to Ankaragucu last season. Let's hope the barren run continues.

IMA said...

Appiaaaaaahhhh! Aleeeeeeex!

Oz Kanka said...

Yes, Murat wins this battle. I hang my head in shame and dissapointment.

IMA said...

Hey we lose our indoor soccer games every Monday night! No shame in doing your best! Today's game should have been 3-1 though. I saw the accidental goal off the head of an Ankara player. Alex's goal was unstoppable, you have to admit. I felt pity for your goalie, I did. That ball cork-screwed into the top goal post, when it appeared to be heading wide. Goalie hesitated, but he was also out of range to stop it.