Monday, July 02, 2007

Nostalgia

I was reading an article on ESPN Soccernet regarding Jupp Derwal the other day following his death. One thing I had not realized was that he was the coach of Germany during the 1982 World Cup.

Whilst I remember that World Cup for one of the fastest World Cup Goals, scored by Captain Marvel aka Bryan Robson, one of the abiding memories was the assault, there really is no other word for it of the Schumacher, the German Keeper on Serge Battiston who left the filed prostrate and unconscious.

I did a quick search on youtube and found the following video clip. Of interest is the next to last one of Rustu doing a pseudo "Schumacher" on an English player in the game in Kadikoy I think when Beckham missed the penalty and Alpay contributed to International diplomacy.....I give you warning though this inlcudes the tackle by Keane on Halland which ended his career and earned Keano an 8 game ban when he admitted it was premeditated, it was bad though......and I remember he started walking immediately after the tackle and did not wait for the red card....

Anyway, click, sit back and enjoy

No comments: